What is WordPress?
WordPress can be defined as an open-source CMS that has been licensed under GPLv2. It means anyone has the right to use as well as modify the WordPress software for free. It can be considered as a tool that makes the life of content publishers easy to manage an essential portion of the website like website content, and multimedia files in web pages without having prior knowledge of web programming. The ultimate result is that WordPress helps develop and build a website handy for anyone, even without the skill set of a developer.
Features of WordPress
WordPress is considered to be the most popular content management system due to its characteristics.
- The most important features of WordPress are that you can create a dynamic website without any programming and design knowledge.
- WordPress is theme-based, which provides you options for various open-source and premium design themes, which can be integrated easily without any design knowledge.
- Plugins extend the functionality of WordPress, which can be used to add new required modules.
- WordPress sites are search engine optimization (SEO) friendly, and it means sites built-in WordPress can be easily optimized for search engine listings.
- WordPress is Multilingual, which allows users to translate content into their language.
- WordPress has an inbuilt Media Management System, which is used to manage images, music, documents, etc., and can be used with text content.
Advantages of WordPress
- WordPress is a free and open-source platform under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Design theme customization in WordPress is straightforward.
- It allows you to manage users with different roles and permissions.
- WordPress media management is quick and easy to use.
- WordPress provides a WYSIWYG editor to manage your text content, which is very useful for manipulating the layout of the document.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org
The two ways through which WordPress allows you to host a site are WordPress.com and WordPress.org. The primary thing which varies between these two approaches is the real host. By making use of WordPress.org, you might download the script free of charge and host it on a local machine or any server. Byt, in the case of WordPress.com, it takes care of every aspect, right from hosting the site for you to providing features for managing the content. You don’t have to organize a web server or pay for hosting or even download any application, but yes, ads will be shown on your site.
Pros and Cons of WordPress.org and WordPress.com
If you are not paying any interest in hosting or managing a web server, then WordPress.com is the way to go. This is because WordPress.com is free, and setup can be done quickly and easily. However, it will charge you to remove the term WordPress which will be included in the URL as well as you will not be competent enough to upload custom themes and plugins without having a prior payment for the services. You also cannot edit or modify the backend PHP code.
WordPress.org is a self-hosted version and provides additional flexibility with control on your site. Your self-bought domain name can be used, and themes can be uploaded, plugins can be incorporated. Hence, this gives flexibility and custom control to your web development.
Thanks for reading and if you want full details then comment to me and give me your feedback on this blog.